Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Traveling with a carry-on? I'm a girl, dammit!

There are phases/stages for many things: grief, the hero's journey, pregnancy, etc. When my husband first suggested that we go overseas for two weeks with nothing more than carry-on luggage (backpacks, mind you- not even wheels), I didn't think there would be any stages to my process, because my answer was NO. Unequivocally, unshakably- NO.

But, he's persistent. He works like an ear worm that has you singing a song all day, without meaning to. He laid the idea-egg and then sat on it. He encouraged me to look at articles about packing light from Rick Steves and Johnny Jet. But those are men...of course they can "pack light". Then I found several women who successfully pack light and look great and out of pure spite, if nothing else, I decided to give it a go.

First, I needed the right size bag. I looked up bags that were good for my size and needs, and then compared prices. While I would love a Tortuga bag, it felt like a bad move. What if I hate this pack light business and never try it again?! So, I checked Wirecutter and looked at what made a good carry-on, well, a good carry-on. After several days of looking at endless bags, I decided to go with this one.


I like this one because it unzips all the way around, like a suitcase, rather than having just a top opening, like a regular backpack, making it easier to access my clothes. Plus, the bag itself doesn't weigh very much and all of this has to go on my back, fully loaded, so that was essential. After adding a WonderWoman patch to it, I was ready to go! err, almost. Most, if not all, airlines allow a carry-on and a personal item. On a short trip, that's this bag and my purse, but on a long trip, space is key. So, I minimized my purse-type things (ie. don't need my checkbook in Europe, probably don't need 12 shades of lipstick, either) and put the purse-type items inside this bag that I bought! Then I packed my small empty purse in my backpack. By the way, I have a Travelon backpack purse that is scan- and cut-resistant that I love to travel with. Keeps my credit cards, money, passport, etc. secure, and it's just big enough for an umbrella, if needed. Plus it's really cute.

But can we just admire this kitty "personal item" bag for a second please...?
You don't have to love it as much as I do, it's okay. But I made sure to get one with a zipper so it could go under the airplane seat without spilling and voila! I had extra packing space. And I definitely knew this was my bag if there was ever a pile-of-bags issue. Not that I expected one, but a gal has to be prepared. 

I also bought some compression packing cubes like these and these to compartmentalize things a little better. Might seem like overkill in a small bag, but I never had to search for my socks, so that's a win in my book.

So, now that I had the bags taken care of, it was time to focus on the packing, or rather...HOW THE HELL DO I FIT ALL MY STUFF IN THIS?!

I looked at several "packing light for women" sites- mostly blogs- to get an idea of how others have done it. Yes, I LOVE Rick Steves, but his fashion priorities are completely different than mine. The advice from the women's sites and Rick and Johnny's sites that I found most useful was:
  1. Choose a color scheme and run with it. I like greys and blacks. I base my bottom colors on that and add in a pair of jeans or two to pair with grey or black tops. I add in color with accessories, shoes, etc. You can do the same if you're into navy and white, earth tones, or whatever else may float your boat. Sticking with coordinating colors means that you can mix and match the items you bring, so you don't have to pack "outfits", per say.
  2. Wear your heaviest/largest shoes or boots on the plane. The biggest squeezing when packing for carry-on travel always comes from the shoes. If it's fall, I might wear boots on the plane and pack 2 other style flats or walking shoes in the bag. Saves space every time! Same goes for jackets or heavy sweaters- wear it on the plane.
  3. Remember that you'll want to shop, at least, a little. The easiest and most versatile accessory to dress something up with, or change the look of something you've already worn, is a scarf. But that's also one of the best things to treat yourself to when traveling. And then you always have it. Umbrellas are good for that, too. And, while you're shopping, you may start to wish you had a bigger bag for your purchases. I bring a cheap fold-up duffel bag with me, put all of my purchases, or dirty clothes, or whatever, in it and check it on the flight home. Once I'm home, it's no big deal to grab one small bag from the carousel and throw it in a car.
  4. Unless you're traveling somewhere far from modern life, you can find what you need there. If my bag is getting full, I'll forgo some of the items like face wipes that I might otherwise pack, in favor of popping into a Boots , or someplace similar, when I arrive at my destination.
  5. Laundry service is the best! If I'm on a long trip and running out of fresh, or fresh-ish, items, I'll send out my laundry mid-way through the trip. Google nearby services. They are always a fraction of the cost of having the hotel do your laundry, and they will pick up and drop off at the front desk or concierge at your hotel. Easy peasy.
The key to making this work, is to accept the challenge. After you've travelled without heavy bags or without having to wait for checked bags, you'll be sold! I've packed this way for a 5-day trip, or a 2-3 week trip and it always works.

The way it works best for me- I put all of my clothes (rolled, of course), shoes, accessories, makeup, brush, and empty purse in the backpack. In the KittyKarryon (that's what her name is), I pack my iPad and phone, chargers, passports and travel docs, snacks, medication, and anything else that I feel like I want in my possession at all times. And I'm off! 

All of the items I mentioned are available through the links, if you click on the highlighted words. Some of the best sites I found for ideas on what to pack, not just how to pack, are listed below.

HAPPY TRAVELS!

Keep Calm and Carry-On: How To Travel With Carry-On Only

1 comment: