Friday, July 9, 2010

The Hotbox

Yesterday I had a tremendous amount of energy. I cleaned up, got ready, went to Whole Foods, and launched an all-out assault on my kitchen!......I should back up.
Over the last couple of days, I have been a bit more adventurous with my oven. I got to thinking about what I actually like to eat, instead of reading my cookbooks and trying my hand at the things that sound good. So, I decided to try bagels. If you've ever eaten a bagel at Surrey in New Orleans and experienced (and it IS an experience) a really fresh bagel, you will know why someone can actually crave bagels. It started with yeast. Such a tricky little ingredient. The first time I attempted pizza dough, I threw out the first batch. I think I killed the yeast. The second batch was fine and my crust was a hit.
So, back to these bagels. They are gentle....g e n t l e. It takes two risings and then they are boiled in a special kettle water and THEN baked. Major points with the Hub for pulling that one off. The same night, my kids wanted sweets, so I whipped up a batch of blondies. But mine were chock full of chocolate, coconut, walnuts, cherries, and cranberries. Yummy! And successful, I might add. It's occurred to me that cooking is more about confidence than training; at least at this juncture.
Back to the battleground of yesterday.... So again, I tamed the yeast and got started on the most delicious pull apart rolls ever! Again, two risings, and lots of butter (mmmm). Then I made a carrot and walnut bread that the Hub had requested. On the stovetop, I had tomatoes and company simmering for a homemade pasta sauce. I may never ever buy sauce again. And people, it is EASY!!!! (Should I be posting recipes at this point? Weekend assignment for myself!) I then made some very lite shortcakes and whipped up some cream. My kids had a sleepover last night, so my full menu was pasta, dinner rolls, and strawberry shortcake. All from scratch, and made with organic, locally grown ingredients. I have to say, it felt good to give that to kids.
After running my oven for five hours, it was nearly eighty degrees in my house and I was pooped. So, tonight, I snacked on wine and horseradish cheddar while my Hub made an incredible dinner. (That recipe will be posted as well. Think crawfish with an indian influence. Delicious!)
Do I paint or cook tomorrow? Hmm......

No comments:

Post a Comment