Thursday, July 15, 2010

nemesis, thy name is Procrastination

So, I started this with the full intention of documenting my little adventure on a daily-ish basis. Then I remembered that I have children! The cooking didn't stop; only the typing. So, now I have to think about the last week and all that I made and it was a pretty productive week. This could take a minute.
After the success of my tomato sauce, I decided I wanted to try to make my own pasta. I don't have any special equipment for it, so I don't know what I was thinking. Then, before I'd acted on that impulse, the Hub decided to try HIS hand at homemade cheese. Game On! He made the most delicious ricotta cheese ever to come from a cheese cloth. It's like butta! So, I went after the pasta, using only my hands and a rolling pin. Then, I made my sauce, and, voila, lasagna!!
I have also successfully made three loaves of bread, loads of scones, and some cookies. Seems like there was more, but maybe that's just because we ate the lasagna for so long that I haven't had to cook....Yep, that's why. I'm okay with that answer.
On to the recipes. The recipe below is for bread. Plain 'ol everyday, only it knocks your socks off, bread. Once you pull this off, you will not want to buy bread again. If that sounds a little far-fetched, try it. It will not disappoint.
Oh, did I mention that I have absolutely tamed the yeast?!
If some of the recipes aren't credited to others, it's because they're made up (tried and true, of course) or because I started with someone's recipe and then ended up changing damn near everything.

Bread. The way it's meant to be.
5 to 6 c. Bread Flour
(completely different protein count that AP flour, so buy the right one)
1 c. warm water >110 degrees (warm sensation on the inside of the wrist, but not hot)
2.5 tsp or 1 pkt Active Dry Yeast
1 tsp Salt
1/2 c Sugar

Spray loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Dissolve yeast in water and let it stand for 3 to 4 minutes to activate. It's active when it looks like it's releasing gas.
In a large bowl (or your stand mixer bowl) combine salt and sugar, then pour in yeast water.
Set the mixer on low, with your dough hook attached, and slowly add the flour. Add as much as needed to form a healthy dough ball that pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
*If you do not have a stand mixer, don't be afraid to use your hands. Get em in there and fold and squish until you have something that looks like pizza dough, only slightly more sticky. Everything else will be the same.
Now stop. Spray a little cooking spray on your dough, so it doesn't stick to the bowl. Cover the whole thing with a plastic bag (garbage bags work fine) and walk away for 1 to 2 hours.
When dough has doubled in size, move it to a floured surface and gently knead. Then roll in in on itself until it resembles a football and place it in the loaf pan. Cover it again and let rise again for about 45 min.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set your oven rack on the second from the bottom lip.
After rising, bake for 35 minutes. Remove from pan t
o cool.

The time frame sounds long, but most of the time is spent doing other things while it rises.
I guarantee, it's worth the effort.

More to follow.........

No comments:

Post a Comment